Science Journal of Microbiology

June 2013, Volume 2013, ISSN: 2276-626X

Author(s) 2013. This work is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Research Article

 

Genotypic and Phenotypic Investigation of Alginate Biofilm Formation among Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Isolated from Burn Victims in Babylon, Iraq

Hussein Oleiwi Muttaleb Al-Dahmoshi

Babylon University, Science Faculty-Biology Department, Iraq.

Accepted 10 June 2013; Available Online 22 June, 013

doi: 10.7237/sjmb/233

Abstract:

A total of 65 Transport swabs were collected from burned victims, who admitted to Burn Unite in Al-Hilla General Teaching Hospital through a period of two months from January 2013 to March 2013. All Transport swabs were collected before washing of the burned patients and subjected for standard bacteriological procedures for bacteriological diagnosis. The results of P. aeruginosa isolation from burn victims revealed that 11/65 (16.9%) were positive while the rest 54/65 (83.1%) were negative. All isolates were subjected for molecular detection of gene responsible for alginate biosynthesis (algD) and phenotypic biofilm formation assay (TCP), and the results showed that (81.8%) of isolates were positive for alginate biofilm formation when investigated by PCR while (90.9%) were positive when investigated using TCP assay. The results of antibiotics susceptibility test illustrate that, all isolates were sensitive for ciprofloxacin, aztreonam and polymyxin. Only one isolate was resist amikacin, ceftazidim and norfloxacin while all isolates were resist to imipenam, piperacillin, gentamycin and tobramycin. The overall MAR index of the P. aeruginosa isolates under study was (0.4). According to the obtained results, this study concludes the high percentage of P. aeruginosa isolation despite new techniques and solution for sterilization and disinfection. The isolated P. aeruginosa were massive virulent and had high MAR index and strong capacity to produce alginate biofilm which interfere with response of the P. aeruginosa isolates to the effective antibiotics.

Keyword:Alginate, Biofilm, Burn, Pseudomonas aeruginosa

Back